The K P Barley Prize
In 1976, $5,000 was given to the University by friends and former students of the late Keith Percival J. Barley, Reader in Agronomy in the University from 1955 to 1975 for the purpose of founding a prize in his memory.
The following rules now apply:-
- The prize shall be known as 'The K.P. Barley Prize', to be awarded annually.
- The value of the prize shall be $2,000, or such other amount as the University shall from time to time determine provided that the value of the prize does not exceed the annual distribution of interest available from the Endowment Fund.
- (a)Provided that there is a nominee of sufficient merit the prize shall be awarded to a candidate for a postgraduate degree within the areas of Agriculture and Natural Resource Sciences in the Faculty of Sciences who holds an Honours degree or equivalent qualifications, who has been enrolled for not less than one year and who, at the time of the closing date for applications, is still undertaking research for the degree.
(b)If candidates are of equal merit preference may be given to a candidate whose field of study is concerned with Agronomy, soil-plant relationships or Soil Science.
- The Heads of School of Biological Sciences and the School of Agriculture, Food & Wine in the Faculty of Sciences shall be asked on 1st November each year to nominate a student for this award.
- The award of the prize will be made by the Faculty of Sciences Higher Degree by Research Committee, which shall make its decision on the basis of research performance.
- If the prize is not awarded in any year then the value of the prize for that year shall be added to the capital sum in the Endowment Fund.
- A ‘K.P. Barley’ prize winner is not eligible for re-nomination.
- The University may vary the rules from time to time in a manner consistent with the University’s legal obligations and policies.
2016 Joanna Gambetta, School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2015 Haipei Liu, School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2014 Courtney Peirce, School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2013 Yagnesh Nagarajan School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2012 Rhiannon Schilling School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2011 Sarah Noack School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2010 Thomas Wanger School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
2009 Wei Chun Tu School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2008 Andrew Chen School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
2007 Emily Grace School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
2006 Clayton Butterly School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
2005 Matthew Ward School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
2004 Anna Dutkiewicz School of Earth & Environmental Sciences