Ecology and Evolution Series - Summer #4
- Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2020, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm
- Location: Benham Lecture Theatre, Benham building, North Terrace campus
- Cost: FREE
- Contact: Dr Jasmin Packer 8313 5576
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Curious. Cutting-edge. Community.
For this series, we’re exploring global problems and local solutions in 'Adapting to extreme weather in our changing world'.
PhD candidate - School of Biological Sciences
Sam is researching how wild Australian orchids are being impacted by climate change and what can be done about it. This will be her introductory PhD seminar, Conserving orchids in a changing climate. Sam's supervisors are Professor Andy Lowe, Dr Greg Guerin and Associate Professor Ben Sparrow.
Dr Camille Mellin
Camille will present about past and new lines of research on how conservation actions can alleviate the detrimental effect of climate change on marine biodiversity and consequences for human health and wellbeing, including food security.
About our Ecology & Evolution Series
Join us for the launch of our revamped Ecology & Evolution Series. We’re passionate about creating Research for a Better World with our community of students, researchers, and research partners. Our sessions are cutting-edge because they’re a training ground for our next generation of environmental scientists, backed by our best and brightest world-leading experts.
We’re changing our weekly sessions to be even more interactive – punchy presentations by students and experts, followed by panel discussions on some of our world’s most pressing problems.
Our Ecology & Evolution Series aims to share world-leading research that educates, engages, and energises our environmental science community. To achieve this we:
- Educate – A 21st century education for a growing community of learners – we reflect on our discoveries and learnings to global problems with our students and research partners.
- Engage – A magnet for talent – we tackle the most pressing global problems affecting our communities, seek unifying solutions and stronger evidence to guide policy and action, and build long-term relationships with our speakers and research partners.
- Energise – Research that shapes the future – we strengthen our environmental science community through inspiring seminars, seeking synergy, and building collaborations that create a better world.
Our seminars are a mix of punchy presentations and thought-provoking panels. World-leading experts alongside our budding scientists and research partners.
Our science community events are weekly, free, curious, and cutting-edge. We hope you can join us!