World-class research. Discoveries of global significance.
The Faculty of Sciences is a synergy of four research intensive schools; thriving research centres and groups; and strong cross-institutional collaborations.
Our world-renowned scientists are critical thinkers and experts in their fields. Our researchers link with experts in industry, government and international institutions to solve real-world problems. They are driven by a passion to find answers, and to discover new ways to make our world a smarter, safer and a more sustainable place.
From understanding disease and tackling environmental challenges, to advancing technology and mapping distant galaxies; our teaching is informed by our cutting-edge research.
Our campuses are home to a number of co-located industry partners, affiliated researchers and research institutes of international significance. This close proximity offers a unique opportunity for our students to gain practical and theoretical knowledge through dynamic national and international research projects.
Join us, as we make (gravitational) waves through the world of science.
Research institutes and centres
Our institutes and centres
- Environment Institute
- Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources (IMER)
- Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing (IPAS)
- Waite Research Institute
ARC Centres of Excellence (COE)
- ARC CoE for Dark Matter Particle Physics
- ARC CoE for Particle Physics at the Terascale (CoEPP)
- ARC CoE in Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)
- ARC CoE in Plant Energy Biology
Cooperative Research Centres (CRC)
- Acid Sulfate Soils Centre
- ARC Research HARCub for Legumes in Sustainable Agriculture
- ARC Special Research Centre for the Subatomic Structure of Matter (CSSM)
- ARC Training Centre in Innovative Wine Production
- Australia-China Joint Research Centre on Grains for Health
- Australian Bioactive Compounds Centre
- Australian Centre for Ancient DNA
- Australian Centre for Antimicrobial Resistance Ecology (ACARE)
- Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity (ACEBB)
- Australian Plant Phenomics Facility and The Plant Accelerator®
- Centre for Complex Systems and the Structure of Matter (C2SSM)
- Centre for Energy Technology
- Fertiliser Technology Research Centre
- JS Davies Research Centre
- Mawson Geo Centre
- Research Centre for Infectious Diseases (RCID)
- Sprigg Geobiology Centre
- Water Research Centre
Science research news
Ever wanted to attract native reptiles, bees and birds to your backyard?Read more about Students and graduates leading backyard biodiversity and citizen science
Some species of fish will have higher reproductive capacity because of larger sex organs, under the more acidic oceans of the future.Read more about Fish have bigger sex organs and more reproductive success in acidic oceans
University of Adelaide scientists have sequenced the ancient DNA of dire wolf fossils for the first time and uncovered new secrets of the animal made famous by the TV show Game of Thrones.Read more about Ancient DNA research reveals evolutionary secrets of Game of Thrones dire wolves