The Faculty of Sciences is a synergy of four research intensive schools; thriving research centres and groups; and strong cross-institutional collaborations.
Our world-renowned scientists are critical thinkers and experts in their fields. Our researchers link with experts in industry, government and international institutions to solve real-world problems. They are driven by a passion to find answers, and to discover new ways to make our world a smarter, safer and a more sustainable place.
From understanding disease and tackling environmental challenges, to advancing technology and mapping distant galaxies; our teaching is informed by our cutting-edge research.
Our campuses are home to a number of co-located industry partners, affiliated researchers and research institutes of international significance. This close proximity offers a unique opportunity for our students to gain practical and theoretical knowledge through dynamic national and international research projects.
Join us, as we make (gravitational) waves through the world of science.
Discoveries of global significance.
Research institutes, centres and departments
Sciences research in focus
- Environment Institute
- Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources - IMER
- Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing IPAS
- Waite Research Institute
ARC Centres of Excellence (COE)
- ARC CoE for Biodiversity and Heritage (CABAH) - Adelaide node
- ARC CoE for Dark Matter Particle Physics
- ARC CoE for Particle Physics at the Terascale - CoEPP
- ARC CoE in Gravitational Wave Discovery - OzGrav
- ARC CoE in Plant Energy Biology
Cooperative Research Centres (CRC) and collaborations
- Australasian Pork Research Institute
- CRC for Greenhouse Gas Technologies
- CRC for Water Sensitive Cities
- South Australian Drought Resilience Adoption and Innovation Hub - SA Drought Hub
- Acid Sulfate Soils Centre
- ARC Training Centre in Innovative Wine Production
- Australia-China Joint Research Centre on Grains for Health
- Australian Bioactive Compounds Centre
- Australian Centre for Ancient DNA
- Australian Centre for Antimicrobial Resistance Ecology - ACARE
- Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity - ACEBB
- Australian Critical Minerals Research Centre
- Australian Plant Phenomics Facility and The Plant Accelerator®
- Centre for Energy Technology
- Fertiliser Technology Research Centre
- JS Davies Livestock Research Centre
- Mawson Geo Centre
- Research Centre for Infectious Diseases - RCID
- Special Research Centre for the Subatomic Structure of Matter - CSSM
- Sprigg Geobiology Centre
- Water Research Centre
- Department of Animal and Veterinary Bioscience
- Department of Companion Animal Health
- Department of Equine Health
- Department of Animal Production and Health
- Department of Pathobiology, Infectious Disease and Public Health
- Veterinary Health Centres
- Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
- Department of Molecular and Biomedical Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Earth Sciences
- Department of Physics
Research facilities and services
Our research facilities use advanced technology to provide training, expertise and support to research activities within the Faculty of Sciences, our schools and the University.
Types of research facilities
Faculty and school research facilities
- Adelaide Glycomics
- Adelaide Spectroscopy
- Adelaide Proteomics Centre - APC
- Advanced DNA, Identification and Forensic Facility - ADIFF
- Coobowie Marine Research Station
- Evidence Synthesis Initiative for Animal and Veterinary Sciences - ESIAVS
- Flinders-Baudin Centre, Kangaroo Island
- Koonamore Vegetation Reserve
- Mawson Analytical Spectrometry Services
- Biotechnology and Fermentation Facility
- Unmanned Research Aircraft Facility - URAF
- Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
University research facilities
NCRIS-funded research facilities
Research degrees and careers
Latest research news
Scientists show greener process for extracting health-promoting molecules from food waste to use in skincare and pharmaceutical products.Read more about Scientists find greener way to extract health-promoting molecules from food waste
University of Adelaide experts are part of a new research centre that will train the next generation of scientists to develop more resilient crops.Read more about New research centre to accelerate future crop development
Interview with researcher A/Prof Michael Beard about gain-of-function research, a technique used in virology and genetics to alter the function of a virus.Read more about What is gain of function research?
Scientists confirm that the lower River Murray was not an estuary more than 7,000 years ago – reinforcing scientific evidence likely to influence important river management policy decisions.Read more about Experts refute River Murray estuary claims
Australian reptiles face serious conservation threats from illegal poaching fuelled by international demand and the exotic pet trade.
Evolutionary biologists have assessed the phenomenon of parallelism in soil-burrowing cockroaches for the first time.
South Australian researchers have been studying ways to improve tests for allergies to vaccine ingredients.
Animal behaviour researchers want to hear from people who own a cat to learn more about our feline friends and how we interact with them.
Minimum enclosure sizes for snakes in captivity should enable them to stretch out fully, say animal welfare experts.
Scientists have found a solution to manage the accelerated rate at which grapes ripen in warmer climates, which can result in poor colour and aroma development.