World-class research. Discoveries of global significance.
The Faculty of Sciences is a synergy of four research intensive schools; thriving research centres and groups; and strong cross-institutional collaborations.
Our world-renowned scientists are critical thinkers and experts in their fields. Our researchers link with experts in industry, government and international institutions to solve real-world problems. They are driven by a passion to find answers, and to discover new ways to make our world a smarter, safer and a more sustainable place.
From understanding disease and tackling environmental challenges, to advancing technology and mapping distant galaxies; our teaching is informed by our cutting-edge research.
Our campuses are home to a number of co-located industry partners, affiliated researchers and research institutes of international significance. This close proximity offers a unique opportunity for our students to gain practical and theoretical knowledge through dynamic national and international research projects.
Join us, as we make (gravitational) waves through the world of science.
Research institutes and centres
Our institutes and centres
- Environment Institute
- Institute for Mineral and Energy Resources (IMER)
- Institute for Photonics and Advanced Sensing (IPAS)
- Waite Research Institute
ARC Centres of Excellence (COE)
- ARC CoE for Dark Matter Particle Physics
- ARC CoE for Particle Physics at the Terascale (CoEPP)
- ARC CoE in Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)
- ARC CoE in Plant Energy Biology
Cooperative Research Centres (CRC)
- Acid Sulfate Soils Centre
- ARC Research HARCub for Legumes in Sustainable Agriculture
- ARC Special Research Centre for the Subatomic Structure of Matter (CSSM)
- ARC Training Centre in Innovative Wine Production
- Australia-China Joint Research Centre on Grains for Health
- Australian Bioactive Compounds Centre
- Australian Centre for Ancient DNA
- Australian Centre for Antimicrobial Resistance Ecology (ACARE)
- Australian Centre for Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity (ACEBB)
- Australian Plant Phenomics Facility and The Plant Accelerator®
- Centre for Complex Systems and the Structure of Matter (C2SSM)
- Centre for Energy Technology
- Fertiliser Technology Research Centre
- JS Davies Research Centre
- Mawson Geo Centre
- Research Centre for Infectious Diseases (RCID)
- Sprigg Geobiology Centre
- Water Research Centre
Science research news
Scientists are using koala teeth to learn how Adelaide was settled by Europeans.Read more about Scientists use koala teeth to map Adelaide's history
Soil experts warn of increasing human intake of cadmium due to changes in soil conditions.Read more about Further action on cadmium needed for global food safety
University of Adelaide scientists recognised at the SA Science Excellence and Innovation Awards.Read more about Uni of Adelaide experts recognised for science excellence