The Harold Woolhouse Prize
In 1996, the University of Adelaide established the Harold Woolhouse Fund for the purpose of establishing a prize for the best PhD thesis produced in the Faculty of Sciences. Friends, family and colleagues of Harold Woolhouse donated to the fund in support of the prize.
Professor Harold Woolhouse was a botanist and Director of Waite Agricultural Research Institute from 1990 to 1995.
The following rules now apply:-
- There shall be a prize, known as ‘The Harold Woolhouse Prize’, to be awarded annually.
- The value of the prize shall be $1,000, or such other amount as the University shall from time to time determine provided that the value of the prize does not exceed the annual distribution of interest available from the Endowment Fund.
- On 1 November of each year nominations for award of the prize shall be made to the Executive Dean by the Heads of School in the Faculty of Sciences of students whose postgraduate qualifications were successfully completed during that calendar year.
- The prize shall be awarded to the nominee deemed to have produced the best PhD thesis, on the basis of the reports of the external examiners of the theses, refereed publications, letter of support from supervisor and any other measurable attributes of quality.
- The award of the prize shall be made by the Faculty of Sciences Higher Degree by Research Committee.
- When two or more nominees are of equal merit, the prize shall be shared equally.
- The University may vary the rules from time to time in a manner consistent with the University’s legal obligations and policies.
|2017||Dr Alison Kirkby, School of Physical Sciences|
|2016||Dr Henry Pepper, School of Physical Sciences|
|2015||Dr Phiala Shanahan School of Physical Sciences|
|2014||Dr Sarah Catalano School of Earth & Environmental Sciences|
|2013||Dr Krista Sumby School of Agriculture, Food & Wine|
|2012||Dr Benjamin Whelan School of Chemistry & Physics|
|2011||Dr Peter Moran * (Prize 1) School of Chemistry & Physics
Dr Stephen Warren-Smith * (Prize 1) School of Chemistry & Physics
Dr Thomas Wanger * (Prize 2) School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
|2010||Dr Anna Sheppard School of Molecular & Biomedical Science|
|2009||Dr Clancy James School of Chemistry & Physics|
|2008||Dr Justin Payne School of Earth & Environmental Sciences
Dr Philip Thomas School of Molecular & Biomedical Science
|2007||Dr John Hedditch School of Chemistry & Physics|
|2006||Dr Marco Bartolozzi School of Chemistry & Physics
Dr Su-lin Leong School of Agriculture, Food & Wine
|2005||Dr Ross Young School of Chemistry & Physics|
|2004||Dr Mark Tingay Australian School of Petroleum|
* NOTE: Due to a change in eligibility it was decided that for 2011 two prizes would be awarded covering two nomination periods:
Prize 1: Students whose postgraduate qualifications were successfully completed during the period July 2010 to March 2011
Prize 2: Students whose postgraduate qualifications were successfully completed during the period April 2011 to December 2011.