Animal & Veterinary Science
Turn your passion for animals into a career. Study at a university in the world's top 50 for veterinary science.*
As a future scientist in this area you could be called upon to tackle issues like sustainable livestock production and biosecurity; address problems in animal welfare and management; and maximise our beloved pets' health and lifespans.
Why study animal and veterinary sciences?
Why choose the University of Adelaide?
- Learn with a team of internationally renowned academics who collectively bring a wealth of research knowledge and teaching capability.
- You will gain practical skills in the field and in our purpose-built veterinary teaching and research clinic.
- The knowledge imparted in animal and veterinary science degrees span a remarkable range of subjects - from the molecular genetics of livestock to equine reproduction.
- You will be introduced to cutting-edge ideas and learn how to think critically. You will develop the hands-on skills needed to put their knowledge to work across a wide range of animal-based disciplines.
- In-depth knowledge in animal and veterinary sciences is central to industries such as food production, conservation, and agriculture - one of Australia's fastest growing sectors.
- As a graduate, you will also be well equipped to explore emerging disciplines that tackle global issues, such as biosecurity, sustainable production systems and diseases that affect endangered species.
Virtual tour - Roseworthy campus
Roseworthy campus is a vibrant hub of undergraduate teaching, postgraduate training and clinical veterinary services north of Adelaide.
Set on over 1,500 hectares of land for practical training, it is home to South Australia's only veterinary school and a $37 million vet clinic, which will catalyse your clinical experience while studying.
Hear from our graduates
"My degree gave me theoretical and practical skills in a multitude of animal species that I wouldn't have gotten anywhere else, and I use those skills on a day-to-day basis in my job."Jessica Spencer - Days Eggs | Graduate of the BSc (Animal Science)
Study and career options
- Bachelor of Agricultural Sciences
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science - NEW
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science (Advanced) - NEW
- Bachelor of Science (Animal Behaviour)
- Bachelor of Science (Animal Science)
- Bachelor of Science (Marine Biology)
- Bachelor of Science (Veterinary Bioscience)
- Bachelor of Science (Wildlife Conservation Biology)
- Bachelor of Veterinary Technology
27 Sep Visit us to learn about our programs and the career opportunities in animal and veterinary science. 28 Sep Webinar: Learn about our programs and the career opportunities in animal and veterinary science.
Visit us to learn about our programs and the career opportunities in animal and veterinary science.
Webinar: Learn about our programs and the career opportunities in animal and veterinary science.
*49th in the QS World University Rankings by Subject for Veterinary Science, 2020
How do we feed the world’s growing population? How do we save our wildlife from extinction? Got an idea that will build a brighter, greener world?
Australian high school students are invited to submit a short video about one of Australia’s big science challenges.