Sciences internships – information for students
SCI2700 / SCI3700
Build your employability skills, professional connections and career-readiness – complete a sciences internship!
The Faculty of Sciences offers undergraduate students studying science an opportunity to do a professional internship for credit.
You will spend about 20 days at a host organisation, immersed in opportunities to use your analytical, problem solving, collaboration and time management skills as well as develop your interpersonal skills and build your networks.
Internships are usually based with industry partners, businesses, not-for-profit organisations and government bodies. The opportunities are not typically lab based.
Postgraduate and research students
Short-term placements, internships and projects are also available to postgraduate and research students. These are structured differently to the SCI2700 and SCI3700 courses, so please email email@example.com to register your interest. Research students are also encouraged to consult with their supervisor.
Key benefits to you
- Gain a competitive edge in the job market by acquiring some work experience
- Build your confidence when the time comes to apply for future job opportunities
- Build industry specific and professional networks
- Gain an increased awareness of your skills, attributes, personal qualities and values
- Develop a personal work ethic and specific skills and knowledge related to your potential career
- Enhance your resume
What to expect
- You will be enrolled in a Science Internship Course (SCI 2700 or SCI 3700) by the Faculty of Sciences.
- You will attend the host organisation's workplace for approximately 20 days (150 hours, which is equivalent to about two days per week over a semester).
- Internships may occur during or outside of normal semesters.
- You will have the opportunity to negotiate the exact days and times with your host organisation.
- You will attend an employability workshop on campus at the start of the semester and a post-internship workshop on campus at the end of the semester.
- A fortnightly diary and final report are assessed and graded for this course.
- Your course coordinator will be Dr Stephen Kidd.
- To be eligible for a science internship you must meet the following conditions:
- Be a current undergraduate student studying a science degree.
- Have completed 36 units of study by the start of the internship.
- Have a GPA of 4.2 or above (exceptions apply).
- Have attended a resume writing workshop or completed the online module and have an updated, polished resume.
- Have a 3-unit elective available in your program.
- Be available and committed to attend your internship for its duration.
Note: The sciences internship is different to the structured industry placements which form part of the following degrees. You should discuss with your program coordinator or a program advisor whether or not your degree allows you to also enrol in SCI 2700 or SCI 3700.
How to apply
Internship opportunities may be limited due to the COVID-19 situation. At this time, you will not need to submit a general registration of interest online. You should monitor CareerHub for available internships and lodge an application for each opportunity of interest.
Search for internships
Finding your own internship
You may source your own internship opportunity through your own networks. The University will first need to review the host organisation and the internship role to ensure it meets the requirements for the Science Internship course.
If you have identified an internship opportunity, email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss if you are able to undertake it for credit.
Preparing for an internship
- Update your resume / CV
- You should consider an internship as your first professional role. Like any professional job, you'll need to have an updated and polished resume, as this will be the first contact a potential internship host organisation will have with you.
- Attend a Careers Service Resume Writing Workshop
- Refresh your interviewing skills
- You will likely have an interview with a potential host organisation to secure an internship. This may happen face-to-face, via phone or online. Host organisations will often interview 2-3 students and select one for the internship.
- Attend a Careers Service Interview Skills Workshop
- Update your resume / CV
Watch the video
Missed the internships presentation on campus? Catch up with the recording of the information session below.
Employer: Thermo Fisher Scientific - Materials and Minerals Application closing date: 3 Jan 2022 Location: Thebarton SA Australia We are looking for a technician to join our production team at our Thebarton site over the summer holidays! We are a busy tight knit team and are looking to welcome new members to the team.
Employer: Redox Pty Ltd Application closing date: 3 Jan 2022 Location: Adelaide Australia A vacancy has become available for an assertive and self-motivated Despatch Officer to join our team in Dry Creek, Adelaide
Employer: Actura Australia Application closing date: 3 Jan 2022 Location: Flexible Australia Create content for an online course Passion for space; space travel, exploration, habitation, technology, and other interesting and fun space topics Flexible work: Working from home or at our Sydney’s Gordon office
Employer: Greencross Vets Application closing date: 31 Dec 2021 Location: Holden Hill SA Australia A position in Holden Hill SA is available for a passionate and enthusiastic Veterinary Graduate to join our Greencross Veterinary team on a full-time basis.
Employer: Greencross Vets Application closing date: 31 Dec 2021 Location: Mount Barker SA Australia A position in Mount Barker SA is available for a passionate and enthusiastic Veterinary Graduate to join our Greencross Veterinary team on a full-time basis.
Employer: Mondelez Intermational Application closing date: 17 Dec 2021 Location: Adelaide SA Australia An outstanding opportunity for a dynamic and goal oriented individual to join our best in class Sales team in South Australia!
Employer: Mondelez Intermational Application closing date: 17 Dec 2021 Location: Mawson Lakes, Elizabeth, Salisbury SA Australia Would you like the opportunity to work with leading snacking brands? Be part of our dynamic sales team in South Australia! This opportunity will suit students with a background or degree in Business, Marketing, Sales or Finance, and relevant experience in the areas of sales, retail, and/or grocery
Employer: Optiver Application closing date: 15 Dec 2021 Location: Australia Time to see how strong your smarts are! Welcome to the brain circuit. It's not so much a free quiz as it is a melter of minds. Find all 10 objects in the tesseract and solve their problems as fast as possible!
Employer: BMM Group Pty Ltd - Planning Application closing date: 2 Feb 2022 Location: Brisbane QLD Australia BMM are seeking to employ an Assistant Town Planner to assist with its growing number of projects in the infrastructure sector. 3rd/4th year town planning students or graduates are encouraged to apply. Flexible work arrangements apply.
Employer: Department for Environment and Water - SA Government Application closing date: 16 Jan 2022 Location: Adelaide SA Australia Work with Dept for Environment and Water on this hands on project