Viticulture & Oenology
Study wine making and the science behind wine. Graduate as a fully trained winemaker or viticulturalist, ready to make wine, grow grapes and manage your own winery or vineyard.
- You’ll study at the largest agricultural teaching and research precinct in the Southern Hemisphere and access our state-of-the-art Hickinbotham Roseworthy Wine Science Laboratory.
- You’ll learn best-practice techniques from more than 150 university researchers and co-located partners in wine and grape science.
- You’ll have access to cutting-edge research at the Australian Research Council (ARC) Training Centre for Innovative Wine Production, based at our Waite campus.
Apply now for mid-year entry
Start now: The next intake for our wine programs is July 2019
Kickstart your career in the wine industry and follow previous graduates into careers at world-famous wineries including Penfolds, Yalumba and Treasury Wine Estates.
We offer the most comprehensive wine qualifications in Australia at the largest teaching winery in Australia, which is home to 70% of Australia’s wine research.
With the highest graduate salary for science graduates in South Australia, studying science at the University of Adelaide can be a great investment in your future.
"This program has deeply enriched my love of food, wine and all things sensorial. I’ve indulged in experiences I wouldn’t have gained without the degree - including an overseas exchange - and am now contributing to the industry surrounded by fine wine, liquor, spirits, and like-minded people."Lukas Papagiannis | Viticulture and Oenology graduate - Brokenwood Wines Prize winner
Honours in winemaking and wine science
Undergraduate level research
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Viticulture and Oenology
Research higher degrees
Fundamentals of Spirit Production
A 5-day intensive course which takes a practical and industry oriented introduction to distillation theory and practice - before diving deeper into gin and whisky production.
World of Wine: From Grape to Glass
In this free online course, learn about the principles and practices of how grapes are grown and wine is made. Whether you’re a wine novice or a seasoned oenophile, you’ll learn to confidently describe wine appearance, aroma, flavour and taste.