Viticulture & Oenology
Study wine making and the science behind wine. Graduate as a fully trained winemaker or viticulturalist, ready to make wine, grow grapes and manage your own winery or vineyard.
- You’ll study at the largest agricultural teaching and research precinct in the Southern Hemisphere and access our state-of-the-art Hickinbotham Roseworthy Wine Science Laboratory.
- You’ll learn best-practice techniques from more than 150 university researchers and co-located partners in wine and grape science.
- You’ll have access to cutting-edge research at the Australian Research Council (ARC) Training Centre for Innovative Wine Production, based at our Waite campus.
Apply now for mid-year entry
Start now: The next starting date for our wine and spirit programs is July 2019
Why study wine?
Kickstart your career in the wine industry and follow previous graduates into careers at world-famous wineries including Penfolds, Yalumba and Treasury Wine Estates.
We offer the most comprehensive wine qualifications in Australia at the largest teaching winery in Australia, which is home to 70% of Australia’s wine research.
This program has deeply enriched my love of food, wine and all things sensorial. I’ve indulged in experiences I wouldn’t have gained without the degree - including an overseas exchange - and am now contributing to the industry surrounded by fine wine, liquor, spirits, and like-minded people.Lukas
Honours in winemaking and wine science
Undergraduate level research
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced)
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Viticulture and Oenology
Research higher degrees
Fundamentals of Spirit Production
A 5-day intensive course enables you to engage in a pot still distillation run and guided spirit tastings, participate in a gin masterclass and visit boutique distilleries to gain insight into the processes for whisky and gin production.
Fundamentals of Brewing Science
This 5-day intensive course provides an introduction to brewing theory and practice before diving deeper into raw ingredients and production systems and their impact on ultimate beer style.
World of Wine: From Grape to Glass
In this free online course, learn about the principles and practices of how grapes are grown and wine is made. Whether you’re a wine novice or a seasoned oenophile, you’ll learn to confidently describe wine appearance, aroma, flavour and taste.